Starting off, creator economy 101, Jack conte works to publish and more.
Hope y’all are doing good! Here’s a quick run down of the content we’ve been learning from. 👇
Work to Publish
Jack Conte, the founder of Patreon and band member of Pomplamoose works to publish. Learning from his experiences, Jack Conte describes “work to publish” as an outward-focused, egoless philosophy where you create for the world, and not for yourself. How did he get there? Read about it here.
A primer on the Creator economy
Li Jin, founder of Atelier Ventures and a thought leader in the creator economy wrote a fantastic piece talking about the creator economy in 2019. 3 years on and we’re still learning from this as the creator economy unfolds in different parts of the world. Our learnings here.
Learning from VC’s 💸
Kalaari Capital, a prominent Indian VC is loooong on the creator economy. What can you learn from their research as a creator? Read on 👇
1. You're in the right space 🚀 - With 448 million active social media users and low data costs ($0.68/GB), content consumption is exploding in India. It's only upwards from here! 📈
2. It's still early days 🥱 - Short-form video discovery platforms raised $900m (🤯) in 2021. This points to the nascent stage of the space as creator discovery platforms scale up, i.e. content distribution will get easier for talented creators.
3. Short-form video content is king 🤴- Due to cheaper smartphones, low data costs and reducing attention spans, short-form video content is what everyone's consuming. Make that Instagram reel! 💃
4. Try out new platforms like Josh, Moj and MXTakatak - As these platforms push for hyper-growth, identifying, acquiring and promoting talented creators is going to be a major focus for them. Take advantage of that and get on their radar! 🚀
5. Money 💸 - Everyone needs money. While ad-revenue and brand deals are mostly how you earn as a creator today, both are unpredictable and unsustainable. Though ad-rev and brand deals take some time to consistently come in, creators can monetise their skills via freelancing and solopreneurship to earn money!
What’s in the line up?
Here’s what you can expect to see from us in the next few weeks
👯♂️ Hanging w/friends: We’re excited to join the uber-cool Panchsheel on his show, The Panch Pod. Panchsheel is a super talented videographer talking about life, creativity and art with some of the coolest creators and entrepreneurs in the country. Keep an eye out on our socials for the full podcast!
🎸🚀 Daft Punk’s meteoric rise: Some say the French Duo’s set at Coachella in 2006 was singlehandedly responsible for the explosion of electronic music in the United States. But, how did two shy french teenagers creating music in their bedroom change the world of electronic music? Stay tuned to find out.
🛡👩🎨 Protecting creators: Freelancers and creators have a tough time protecting themselves from unethical, prying clients. We want to empower creators and freelancers to put things to paper with their clients (even if its their friends, this is best practice!). Check out the demo contract builder we’ve made so far👇
See you in 2 weeks, folks! 👋
Liked this content? Got a creator/freelancer/entrepreneurial friend you think will benefit from this? Send this to them!
Were you sent this newsletter by a friend? Hit the button below to keep receiving our content!